Saturday, August 16, 2014

Illustrative Inspiration ~ Beatrix Potter

One of my all-time favorite authors and illustrators is Beatrix Potter.  I truly identify with her love for animals, writing, illustrating, and nature.  From the little I know about her, I tend to view her as my British counterpart (more so than Jane Austen, whose works I love, but whose wit and sarcasm I doubt I could ever live up to).  Her illustrations in particular resonate with me.  Their warmth and light comfort me, and the stories they convey more often than not make me smile.  While not in league with the famous artists about whom we learn in school, I think her artwork is just as valid, even if in a different way.  After all, one of the primary purposes of art is to elicit reactions and emotions from the viewer, yes?  Beatrix Potter's work certainly accomplishes that in my case, and I don't doubt that she will continue to do so in others' for some time to come.

















Are you familiar with the works of Beatrix Potter?
Do you have a favorite illustration?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meditation of the Day

Doing Good on the Sabbath      Heavenly Father, we rejoice that amid the ceaseless cares and anxieties, the vain desires and wearisome ...