Saturday, June 21, 2014

Style Inspiration ~ Penelope

Today's featured style is that of Penelope Wilhern in the 2008 film Penelope.  I discovered this film a few years after its release, and I found myself completely enchanted with the titular character, the scenery, and especially Penelope's wardrobe.  While this piece could easily become a film review, I'll save that for another time, as my focus today is strictly on the costumes Christina Ricci had the presumed pleasure of wearing while playing the role of Penelope.

French promotional poster

I chose to display the above version of the film's poster, as I think it more accurately captures the atmosphere of the movie--magical and intriguing, the subdued color palette hints at the struggles Penelope faces over the course of the plot--and it also attracts my own preference for deeper, bolder colors.  It also features the iconic coat she wears often throughout the movie.


  

Above I've included an image of an architecturally-inspired and delightfully textured inspiration board based on Penelope's clothes.  


I couldn't resist highlighting one of favorite outfits she wears nearing the end of the film.  A lover of all things horticultural, just as yours truly is, Penelope wears an ensemble that captures that love in a simultaneously subtle and unique manner.

Have you seen Penelope?
If so, which is your favorite outfit?
In what ways do your clothes reflect your personality? 


2 comments:

  1. I love Penelope, and especially the sweet Mary Jane style shoes she sports throughout the film! I've stopped by your blog from your Pinterest, and will certainly be following along!
    -Lauren
    musingsofaflowerchild.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren,

      Thank you so very much for stopping by! Penelope is one of my favorite movies; its whimsy and adventure combined with the gorgeous set and costumes make for quite an enjoyable viewing experience, don't you think? I love your blog, which is certainly an inspiration! I'm looking forward to getting to know you better!

      Best,

      Bonnie

      Delete

Meditation of the Day

Doing Good on the Sabbath      Heavenly Father, we rejoice that amid the ceaseless cares and anxieties, the vain desires and wearisome ...