Monday, June 16, 2014

Poem of the Week ~ "My Song of Today"

I love poetry.  I used to be self-conscious about this, but I have recently been inspired to embrace the feeling, instead.  My previous self-consciousness arose from my budding awareness of the numerous well-known poets who suffered from mental disorders, expressed the struggles associated with them through their poetry, and more than likely eventually met ends that God did not intend for them.  However, while these poets may be more well-known than others (for some reason I don't care to explore), there are even more who use this literary form as a way to glorify God.  Now, I do not in the least intend to criticize poetry as a form of expression, for this is a foundational aspect of the art.  I freely admit to using the form to articulate past struggles.  I just think that using the form to articulate the joy and beauty found in the Lord is just as valid and valuable, if not more so.

I recently came across the below poem written--rather appropriately--in June of 1894 by St. Therese of Lisieux, a woman who lived her very abbreviated life on Earth in total service to God.  I found myself particularly struck by her embrace of the present and her release of anxiety about the future.  As the weeks so quickly pass, my wedding day drawing ever nearer, I have increasingly struggled with maintaining this mentality.  I strive to enjoy these days of engagement, have fun with the many preparations required, and maintain a (relatively) peaceful mindset.  So far, I have not been as successful as I had hoped, but I still have plenty of time to cultivate it.  As St. Therese reminds me, "Soon shall I fly afar among the holy choirs, / Then shall be mine the joy that never knows decay[.]"  At the end of the day, I have the love and comfort of God and the joyous anticipation of eternal Life with Him, which certainly puts everything into perspective!

"My Song of Today"
St. Therese of Lisieux
(1873-1897)

1. 

Oh! how I love Thee, Jesus! my soul aspires to Thee

And yet for one day only my simple prayer I pray!

Come reign within my heart, smile tenderly on me,

To-day, dear Lord, to-day.

2.

But if I dare take thought of what the morrow brings

That fills my fickle heart with dreary, dull dismay;

I crave, indeed, my God, trials and sufferings,

But only for to-day!

3.

O sweetest Star of heaven!  O Virgin, spotless, blest,

Shining with Jesus' light, guiding to Him my way!

O Mother! 'neath thy veil let my tired spirit rest,

For this brief passing day!

4.

Soon shall I fly afar among the holy choirs,

Then shall be mine the joy that never knows decay;

And then my lips shall sing, to heaven's angelic lyres,

 The eternal, glad To-day!

                                                                                            June, 1894

Have you ever read this poem before?  
Which stanza strikes you most?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meditation of the Day

Doing Good on the Sabbath      Heavenly Father, we rejoice that amid the ceaseless cares and anxieties, the vain desires and wearisome ...